Remote, USA, Full-Time - MUST BE AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES
How can you apply your technical expertise to help clients transform data into new business value?
4 Mile Analytics is a full-service consultancy with expertise in strategy, data analytics, data engineering, and software development. We believe in the power of data to form compelling narratives that drive innovation. Our guiding principle is to help our clients move up the chain of analytic maturity.
Our engineers have contributed to projects that have transformed the world’s largest companies. We focus on pragmatic solutions to our clients’ most complex data problems. Every day presents fresh opportunities to develop your technical, leadership, and business skills.
We value in our team-mates:
- Curious minds who are inclined to ask, “Why?”
- Strong problem-solvers who are comfortable in unfamiliar situations, and can view challenges through multiple perspectives
- Driven to develop technical skills for oneself and team-mates
- Ability to connect with clients and colleagues of different backgrounds and communication styles, through empathy and clear verbal, visual, and written communication
- Equates professional achievement with happy end-users
You’ll work on the following:
A Solutions Architect at 4 Mile is responsible for designing technical solutions, including:
- Systems architectures
- Solution development specifications and deployment steps
- Creating project design and delivery plans based on proposed solutions
- Helping internal and external teams make important architectural decisions based on often complex sets of business and technical requirements for customers from a multitude of differing industries and IT stacks
The Solutions Architect will leverage strong technical, product and business communication skills to design and oversee the implementation and delivery of solutions that effectively accomplish client business goals and tightly integrate with client technical ecosystems.
This role requires a breadth and depth of knowledge in the data architecture space in order to design primarily cloud-based data solutions for a variety of company sizes, industries, business requirements and data architectural stacks.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Design and delivery (50%) - constructing project technical blueprints (including technical architecture diagrams, specifications, deployment steps and documentation) ensuring the technical success of projects and implementing solutions directly as necessary
- Develop and communicate Technical Architecture Blueprints detailing the architectural design and delivery of technical solutions aligned to desired business outcomes and client requirements.
- Architect technical solutions on a variety of client IT stacks with consideration to (but not limited to): client business goals and priorities, existing client infrastructure and technical expertise, security and compliance, cost optimization, high availability and fault tolerance, backup and recovery options, logging and monitoring, performance, administration, transition planning, and scalability.
- Work in conjunction with the Analytics Consulting and Software Engineering teams and Team Leads to ensure the successful deployment of proposed solutions.
- Audit existing client data stacks, providing detailed feedback on all components, including any recommended design changes and trade-offs, and implementation plans for transitioning from existing architecture to recommended architecture.
- Provide technical leadership and consulting for projects - ensuring that the delivery of solutions during customer engagements align with both implemented component service best practices and 4 Mile best practices.
- Work with internal and external teams to assist in the design and deployment of new components to support solutions, and the consideration of unforeseen roadblocks or changed goals and priorities.
- Engage in discussions, product roadmapping and solution sessions with senior technical stakeholders and business decision makers.
- Assist in the execution and deployment of solutions directly for strategic projects as necessary, often alongside internal Consultant teams.
- Pre-sales (25%) - proposing solutions based on project requirements and supporting pre-sales processes via solution details and rationale
- Understand customer requirements and goals outlined either via client conversations or documentation, translate these considerations to detailed proposed solutions, and communicate solutions effectively to business and technical contacts, both verbally and via architectural plans and visualizations.
- Define and detail proposed technical solutions - including solution components and features, rationale and advantages in selecting each component, and how the overall solution matches (or exceeds) client goals and requirements.
- Support the pre-sales process by developing and presenting proof-of-concept demonstrations as necessary to showcase proposed solutions.
- Create visualizations, mock-ups and presentations to exhibit how solutions will be created, deployed and function - for technical and business audiences.
- Work with existing clients and internal teams to iterate on existing technical solutions via planning sessions and prototyping new initiatives.
- Assist in the process of scoping service engagements, including project timelines and estimated required time and materials.
- Assist directly in the creation of project proposals and SOWs, as necessary.
- Project oversight, management, and training (25%) - maintaining strong relationships with clients, helping oversee projects and ensure project deliverables are quality assured, and serving as a technical resource by training internal and external teams on best practices and new technologies.
- Demonstrate project and technical leadership on 4 Mile engagements with customers, internal teams and partners.
- Provide council to client contacts in considering their overall data strategy and analytics maturity planning and decisions.
- Maintain strong knowledge of 4 Mile’s primary data stack components, partner SaaS application use cases and best practices, and 4 Mile services and projects.
- Build strong relationships with senior technical individuals from external teams.
- Oversee the technical success of the project life cycle as necessary, from the initial kickoff through the requirements gathering and implementation of solutions.
- Mentor Technical Consultants in relation to technical design standards, architecting resilient data solutions, and implementation best practices.
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst external clients implementing services recommended by 4 Mile, and internal teams to help build internal knowledge and ensure internal teams are building resilient applications.
- Actively build upon 4 Mile’s technical breadth and depth of knowledge by introducing teams to new tools and services, knowledge sharing on current 4 Mile development stack topics, and sharing architectural design patterns, use cases and trade-offs with teams.
- May serve as a technical contact and champion for 4 Mile - attending and presenting at data conferences, writing about 4 Mile’s technical solutions and services, and helping develop internal best practices, expertise and culture.
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering, software engineering, sales engineering, consulting, IT architecture, product management, or equivalent experience architecting solutions and supporting data platforms.
- Significant experience with AWS, GCP, or Azure:
- Strong understanding of cloud platform shared responsibility models, security (IAM, KMS, VPCs) and compliance, cost models and optimization
- Experience with cloud database, serverless, and storage tools (e.g. BigQuery, Redshift, Lambda, Cloud Functions, S3, Cloud Storage)
- Solid understanding of orchestration services (e.g. CloudFormation, ARM) and DevOps services and techniques (e.g. OpsWorks, Auto Scaling)
- Understanding of other key cloud integration tools and use cases (e.g. SNS, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, Step Functions, API Gateway).
- Experience with data pipeline/workflow management tools (e.g. Apache Airflow)
- At least two years experience in database development, administration, or architecture working with OLTP and/or OLAP databases
- Strong SQL skills, with the ability to demonstrate SQL solutions that solve complex analytics use cases in the sales and development process
- Capable of developing and architecting highly scalable solutions that integrate with RESTful API data sources
- Knowledge of basic web application architectural design and components
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adapt messaging to various stakeholders (technical, product, executive)
- Excellent track record designing and delivering system architecture specifications, implementation, and deployment of the successful solution in a customer-facing role
- Ability to translate high-level business goals into practical implementation steps
- Team-oriented individual with the ability to work cross-functionally and effectively dive into projects working alongside both internal and external teams, while delegating and provide effective instruction where appropriate
- Experience in a Professional Services environment engaging with executive stakeholders, solution architects, product managers, developers, and analysts
- An ability to help translate business requirements into technology requirements for inclusion in contracts and/or statements of work (SOWs)
- Willingness to travel to visit client sites during the pre-sales or delivery processes, up to 25%.
- Experience integrating business intelligence platforms into data stacks (Looker, in particular)
- Experience considering client BI goals in architecting solutions
- Experience architecting and/or developing on SaaS data and ETL applications (e.g. Snowflake, Fivetran, Stitch) integrated into cloud data architecture stacks
- Certification, or equivalent experience, as a Solutions Architect in AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Experience designing or working with big data cloud architectures, integrating services like EMR, DynamoDB, Kinesis, ElastiCache, SQS, and Auto Scaling
- Understanding of and experience with both analytical and production system architectures, their design patterns, and key architectural considerations.
- Experience working on projects in an agile environment, usually Scrum.
- Some experience architecting solutions involving the deployment of supervised or unsupervised machine learning models is a plus.